What is a Website or Web Page?
Websites are no longer an option for any brand, professional, startup, movement, or company; but an OBLIGATION if you want to position yourself in this digital world, where the rules, the style, and what you want to share; be under your focus and direction.
For this, we are going to know some definitions that they have on the web page
- Web page definition
- Website definition
- The history behind a website
- Types of websites
- Web page types
- Website benefits
- Disadvantages of a web page
- Statistics that support the web pages
- Basic elements to create a web page
- Hosting or web servers
- Programming language
- Development platform
- SSL certificate
- CMS (Content Management System)
- How important are domains on a web page?
- Why do they do it?
- The platform that you can use to create your website, without having much knowledge
- Create your own page vs. Web programmer
- Reasons for a company to have its website
- The main objective of a website for a company
- How can we attract users to a web page?
- Recommendations in the design of the website
- Some recommendations are:
- What should be avoided on a web page?
- What should you look for on a web page?
Web page definition
According to the Royal Spanish Academy, it defines the page or website as follows:
Set of information on a website that is displayed on a screen and that may include texts, audiovisual content, and links to other pages.
My definition is:
It is a space on the World Wide Web that contains information, visual elements, and functions. Where within each page it has a unique and unrepeatable locator, known as a link or URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
It is a collection of web pages, which are related to each other or are part of the same concept.
Most websites use the home page as the main cover and link or root URL, becoming an extension or branch of the web pages.
Each of the branches or extensions is classified hierarchically and by the group.
Therefore, we must never confuse the website with a website; Since the pages are HTML files, they are part of a website.
The history behind a website
– The first web page was created by Tim Berners-Lee in 1991 using a NeXT computer.
– On April 30, 1993, CERN presented the World Wide Web (WWW) publicly.
– In 1994, the Yahoo!
– In 1994, Brian Pinkerton created WebCrawler which was the first search engine to fully index a web page.
– In 1995, Altavista was launched as a search engine.
– In 1995, the first E-Commerce Netscape and Amazon were created.
Types of websites
Dynamic sites: it can give the power for a quick and clear administration, having the opportunity to make frequent changes in the information, functions, and designs.
Static sites: it has information, functions, and designs where they do not undergo constant changes, and its management is maintained manually by professionals in the field, such as a web developer or programmer.
Web page types
Informative: these are pages where the objective of communicating information is clear and concise, such as a page about us, about me, contacts, values, articles, press releases, …
E-commerce: commercial spaces, where users must go through a sales flow and acquire what they want.
Web applications: specific functions that give dynamism to the pages such as price comparators,
Internal systems: private spaces, where normally without a username and password, you cannot access special or premium functions; some corporate internal systems may be ordered requisition modules.
Blogs: spaces that have a collection of articles, press notes, interviews, among others.
- Have a digital presence, where the laws, style, focus, and everything that this space represents, you are YOUR GOD.
- Positioning in search engines.
- You get greater reach, not all users are on social networks, but if they are on the internet, therefore, they use search engines to explore them.
- Versatility, since you can create pages within a page with a different business concept, for example, you can have e-commerce, e-learning, blog,…. All this in one place.
- There is a high possibility of increasing the number of customers and sales.
Disadvantages of a web page
- If you do not have page backups, and you have resource failures, the web page may suffer data loss.
- When it comes to doing a refresh or incorporating new functions, they can be complicated.
- Server migration can make website availability difficult.
Statistics that support the web pages
According to the latest study released by We Are Social, it indicates that:
- 57% of the population uses the Internet.
- Increased 9.1% of users compared to 2018.
- 52% of the population access the Internet from mobile devices.
- People spend 3 hours and 14 minutes on average per day to navigate.
Basic elements to create a web page
For the construction of a web page, it is necessary to comply or have some resources to be able to create it.
It is the unique and exclusive name that a web page has on the internet, where thanks to this users can enter quickly and clearly through the address.
To maintain a domain, it is like a rental, where an annual payment must be made to keep it active and that other users do not acquire it.
Hosting or web servers
It is web hosting, where it provides internet users with a space to save information, audiovisual content, functions, codes, … so that it is accessible to anyone and has the power to enter via the web from any device.
It is a language that allows you to create a series of instructions or steps, which allow you to achieve the desired objective.
Programmers mostly have the power to write sequences that influence functions, layouts, and storage to interact with users.
It is the development environment that allows the programmer to create and define the applications or functions of the platform or website.
It means Domain Name System, this allows us to connect with the names in the networks and to know the IP address where the domain that we want to access or enter is hosted.
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, it is a MANDATORY certificate today, this allows to authenticate the identity of a website and information.
CMS (Content Management System)
It is a software application used to manage the creation and modification of digital content.
How important are domains on a web page?
Currently, the uniformity of names is vital in the digital world for positioning, since there is a great demand for domains and user names.
Having the same name on all platforms where the center of operations is the page, facilitates the memory of users to remember it and thus differentiate yourself from the rest.
On many occasions, companies acquire the same name in different domains, for example:
- www. dailysmallbiznews.co
Why do they do it?
They do it in order to monopolize the name in the greatest amount and not allow another person to use the same name and thus avoid confusion between brands or branding.
The platform that you can use to create your website, without having much knowledge
Through CMS, the creation of more web pages has been facilitated, where there are not only private tools such as Wix or own editors such as GoDaddy, but also open-source such as WordPress.org.
Any of these platforms can adapt to the needs and nature of the brand, giving more power to users to create more dynamic sites with great ease but with great processing power and functionality.
Create your own page vs. Web programmer
Self-development depends on your learning ability, therefore, the learning curve is important depending on the tool used or if you decide to learn a programming language to create each digital space.
However, if you are a user who has basic knowledge, and you want to develop a complicated space, with functions and where it affects the security of the users; HIRING A WEB PROGRAMMER is necessary to create more complex, safe, and high-quality spaces.
But, this depends on several factors such as purchasing power, capacity, and budget, among others.
Reasons for a company to have its website
Already reaching this point, we have been able to know a great capacity that a web page has and the reach that we would obtain if we decided to bet on this space, appropriating them and giving it life until reaching the search engine positioning (SEO) and being the first option of internauts.
For this, it is necessary to know some strengths that web pages can offer to companies:
- Own space where the rules, style, and approach; it is working according to the vision of the company.
- It becomes the brand’s home and digital hub.
- It is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to connect with users.
- You have a global reach, you will not only focus on a local or national level but also internationally.
- Direct, formal, and focused communication between Internet users and the brand.
- Possibility of getting new clients.
- Build trust and credibility through your own space.
- They are cheap and the advertising frequency is defined by you.
The main objective of a website for a company
One of the perspectives that programmers, web developers, digital strategists, and related careers with the technological and digital world have to fight every day; is to nurture and teach our customers or brands. About the investment and effort, you must make to be present in this digital ocean.
Where each resource that is decided to create, develop or acquire, is an INVESTMENT FOR THE FUTURE AND PROFITABILITY OF THE BRAND.
Therefore, some objectives that the brands aspire to achieve through the website are:
- Attract more potential customers.
- Increase the conversion or sales rate.
- Digital presence with power over it.
- Market expansion.
These are some of the objectives that can be achieved, course they are not the only ones, since depending on what you want to achieve, objectives such as INCREASE THE RECOGNITION AND IDENTIFICATION OF THE BRAND IN THE CONSUMER’S MIND can be created.
How can we attract users to a web page?
The attraction of users is not an easy job, many specialists look for different strategies to reach them, some of them are:
- Generation of content, which is married to a publication plan, with constant frequencies, without compromising QUALITY.
- Create a user experience, which allows easy intuitive navigability towards users in order to locate the information you want.
- Attractive design, where it allows the user to move without invading and the page load is in a matter of seconds.
- Use of communication strategies, where it allows to redirect each user attracted to our website, whether using social networks, SMS, email marketing, … Whatever you want is valid, just do not invade and obtain the approval of the users without being forced.
- That the web page adapts to all the devices that exist in the current market.
Recommendations in the design of the website
The web should not only focus on having a large amount of information but it should also be liked by people and generate a need from users towards your space.
For this, design plays a fundamental role, so as not to scare users away and make them feel comfortable and safe inside your digital home.
Where it must allow easy navigability, achieve their objectives in the fewest possible clicks, and that they feel that they have control over the web (that they do not feel lost or disoriented).
Some recommendations are:
- Use solid colors and not so strong in the background in the news or blog section of the website, and make it easy to consume the content.
- The color and typeface that you are going to use within the main page or the headers of each page must be of adequate size, legible (pending with the typeface families), and that the color contrasts with the background used.
- Perform an audit periodically, where you can find out the broken links or 301 redirects that have been generated with changes.
- It is always recommended to show the user from where he entered to where he is currently on our website, it is like a guide of steps and directions, without overloading the user.
- When using images, try to make them the size you need and not be heavy, to avoid the delay in loading the page (this affects SEO positioning).
- The contactor information request forms, be concise; Here you have to learn to prioritize and evaluate its impact, if it is for subscription, just having the email is more than enough, but if it is an exchange of an info-product for data, you can evaluate the fields that you want to request but not affect or fatigue the user.
- The links must be associated with keywords within the content discussed.
What should be avoided on a web page?
- Flash animations.
- Recycled designs.
- The layout of simple informative static images.
What should you look for on a web page?
- Optimized code.
- Custom templates.
- Easy and simple page administration.
- SEO optimization.
- Usability and portability.
- Web accessibility.
- Speed when loading the web page.
- SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificates.
The website is an investment and a tool that must be taken into account when you first want to create a project.
It gives you exposure by turning it into a direct sales channel with buyers.