Where Does The Us Oil Supply Come From?

Where Does The Us Oil Supply Come From?

United States (US) oil supply is a frequent topic of discussion in the United States, due to growing concerns about over-reliance on oil as a fuel source. According to the US Department of Energy, 40% of US energy needs are met by petroleum products. Many citizens are concerned about the impacts of oil on the environment and would like the country to move towards more sustainable sources of oil. In addition, there is great controversy over the sources of American oil and the political maneuvering needed to meet American demands for oil.

About 40% of US oil comes from domestic oil fields in states like Texas, Alaska, and California. Some of this oil is sold to other countries, such as Japan. The remaining 60% of the United States’ oil supply comes from foreign sources. Contrary to popular belief, however, the United States has widely diverse oil interests around the world and receives oil and oil products from nearly every continent on Earth. This diversity within the petroleum supply allows for the manufacture of a wide range of petroleum products, using crude oil of various chemical compositions.

Canada, Saudi Arabia, Colombia, Nigeria, Angola, and Iraq all contribute to US oil supplies. America also imports oil from Kuwait, Norway, the United Kingdom, Venezuela, Equatorial Guinea, and Algeria. Many other countries ship refined petroleum products to the United States to supplement the production of American refineries. The diversity of the oil supply makes it difficult to completely cut off the country’s oil supply, although irregularities in the supply chain can be problematic.

See also  Key Concepts Of Economic Sciences And Their Frontiers

Much of the United States’ oil supply comes from member countries of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). OPEC member countries are supposed to work together to ensure stable oil prices while preserving oil reserves and ensuring that countries around the world have access to oil when they need it. The United States’ oil supply is not limited to OPEC sources, however, and the country regularly imports oil from non-member countries, such as Canada, at varying prices.

While the sources of American oil are countless, many of the countries that contribute the bulk of the United States’ oil supply are economically and politically unstable. This has raised concerns about the security of the United States’ oil supply, as a major political disruption could be devastating. For this reason, the United States also maintains a reserve of oil for emergencies and devotes funds to the development of energy alternatives.


BUZZBONGO  we are here to serve society through a virtual environment that enables people who wish to develop their personal and professional skills in fields related to finance ,administration, business and the economy to share and acquire knowledge.
We understand the challenges small business owners face in today's digital world.