US News

Iran and the US are showing some progress in talks as Trump regains weight – nationally

Iran on Saturday signaled “decreasing tensions” in talks with the US after Pakistan’s military chief held more talks in Tehran and the United States weighed a new attack on the Islamic Republic.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters in India that “some progress has been made” and “there may be news later today.”

Iran has rebuilt its military equipment after weeks of war and ended hostilities, said Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf after a meeting with Field Marshal Asim Munir, state TV reported.

Qalibaf, the lead negotiator in the historic face-to-face talks with the US last month, also said the outcome will be “more painful and bitter” than at the beginning of the war if US President Donald Trump resumes the offensive.

Separately, Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei as saying that nuclear issues are not part of the current talks, as Tehran initially wants to end the war before discussing its nuclear program, which has long been a source of international tension.

The story continues below the ad

Baghaei said the parties are trying to finalize a memorandum of understanding and the positions have been close in recent days.

Get the best Canadian news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you never miss a trending story.

Get the latest country news

Get the best Canadian news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you never miss a trending story.

“In the past week, the practice has been reducing tensions,” he said. “We will have to wait and see what happens in the next three or four days.”

Rubio said “even as I speak to you now there is work being done. There is a chance that even if it is later today, tomorrow, in a few days we may have something to say.”

Rubio reiterates the US position that Iran will never have a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz must be opened.

Trump previously said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were ongoing, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed out.


The US and Israel went to war with the attack on February 28, ending brief negotiations with Iran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertilizers, causing economic pain around the world.

The United States then blockaded Iranian ports, and the US Central Command on Saturday said the US military had diverted more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began on April 13.

The story continues below the ad

There has been progress in talks between Pakistan’s military chief and Iran’s leadership, two officials in Islamabad said, describing the talks as moving “in the right direction.” The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media on the record.

Munir also met with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials, the two officials said, adding that Islamabad is continuing efforts to organize a second round of direct talks.

It is not clear whether the Pakistan army chief met with Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, has been a major player in establishing Iran’s strong position in the negotiations.

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button