International students and researchers are eligible to apply for the 2023 Korean Government Fully Funded Scholarship Program (KGSP).
The Korean government invites online applications from international students and researchers for Korean scholarships, which allow students to study for undergraduate, master’s, and Ph.D. courses at a university of their choice.
The Korean government scholarship program also aims to promote friendly relations between Koreans and citizens of other countries.
Read more about KGSP 2022 Scholarships, Korean Government Scholarship Scheme Benefits, Eligibility Criteria, How to Apply for Korea KGSP Scholarship, Required Documents, and the Deadline.
Korean Government Scholarship Program 2023
- Level/Application: Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D. (Promotion)
- Type: Fully Funded
- Country: South Korea
Benefits/Value of Korean Government Scholarship 2023:
- The KGSP grant covers the grantee’s airfare.
- It awards grantees a resettlement or relocation allowance of KRW 200,000.
- KRW 20,000 per month is granted to cover living expenses.
- 20,000 KRW monthly for health insurance.
- KRW 800,000 every three months as payment for the language course that each recipient must take.
- Tuition Coverage (maximum KRW 5,000,000 per semester)
- Korean Language Skills Award.
- Grant of KRW 240,000 (per semester) to support research costs
- A grant of KRW 500,000 – KRW 800,000 for the printing of the dissertation/thesis.
- 100,000 KRW after graduation.
Note: The thesis research and printing grant are only awarded to students enrolled in a research-oriented degree program.
Funding criteria of the KGSP 2023:
To be eligible to apply for the KGSP Korean Scholarship; Make sure you meet all the basic requirements required to apply for the Korean Scholarship Program as detailed below:
- The applicant and his/her parents should be born in a country other than Korea.
- The applicant must not have Korean citizenship.
- Applicants must be in good physical and mental health to ensure a healthy stay in Korea throughout their studies.
- Students/applicants must be under 25 years old.
- Students must be under the age of 40 at the time of admission.
- The undergraduate applicant must have completed all of his/her elementary, middle, and high school education before they arrive in Korea.
- The doctoral student must have completed their master’s or bachelor’s degree before arrival.
- The applicant should have a CGPA of more than 80%. This CGPA or percentage is from their last educational institution.
- Applicant must not have attended or graduated from any Korean educational institution before applying. (This means a bachelor’s, master’s degree, or Ph.D. degree. A college education is not included).
- Applicants with a score of 90% who are current or previous holders of a KGSP scholarship may reapply. You can apply directly through the university or opt for the university course.
How to Apply for Korea KGSP Scholarship 2023?
The South Korean KGSP Scholarship application process is simple. Start by finding a Korean university that offers this scholarship and follow the established process of that particular university to submit a KGSP scholarship application and admission. More details are as follows:
- NIIED calls the Korean embassy or local university to recommend potential candidates. (Students can vote through this platform or apply through the embassy or university and they will c).
- Applicants must submit the required documents to the embassy of the university to which they have applied in their home country or to which they have applied.
- The Korean university or embassy then sends the documents to the NIIED (only the documents of the shortlisted applicants are sent). This is done to verify that the selected students are indeed eligible for the scholarship.
- NIIED evaluates the documents and informs the university or embassy of the recipients.
- The applicants will be informed of their selection or rejection by the university or the embassy. The scholarship committee does not inform the students directly.
Required Documents for Korean Language Scholarship (KGSP) Application:
Before applying for the KGSP Scholarship; Gather and provide the following documents to avoid further delays in submitting your Korean scholarship application:
- Highest degree achieved
- Certificates of the highest degree
- Letters of recommendation from employers or professors
- Letter of motivation or letter of motivation (mandatory field only for masters and doctoral applicants)
- A curriculum must be submitted by MS students
- Research proposal for Ph.D. applicants
- Letter of motivation (for applicants for a bachelor’s degree)
The application process for KGSP 2023
Various Korean universities are affiliated with the Korean government scholarship program, so a student can choose the university based on their preferences. So make sure you know the list of all the universities that offer this scholarship to explore them better. Few of them offer Korean scholarships. Korean Higher Education oversees the entire scholarship process.
Below are additional instructions:
- A student can only apply through a specific university or the embassy.
- All documents should be submitted to the embassy of their country or the student can also submit them to the chosen university.
- The Korean University or the embassy will forward the documents to the NIIED. Only the documents of those NIIED shortlists will be forwarded.
- The NIIED will examine each document and inform the university or embassy of the selected recipients.
- The university or the Korean embassy will inform you whether your application has been selected or rejected. In the end, the scholarship committee informs the student about the further procedure.
Application Deadline for KGSP 2023 Scholarships:
The application deadline for the KGSP Scholarships is October 30, 2023. As each Korean university embassy has its application deadline, applicants are recommended to check with the Korean embassy in their home country for the KGSP application deadline.
For more details and access to the application form, visit the Korean Government Scholarship Official Website here.
Benefits/Value of Korean Government Scholarship 2023
When is the application deadline?
The first decision is made by each institution. Please check with the Korean embassy in your country or the university of your choice if you are unsure of the exact deadline and submission requirements.
When applying for KGS, do I have to provide proof of language proficiency (English or Korean)?
It is not necessary to submit a language proficiency test. However, if you are a candidate from a country with a highly competitive job market, you may need to demonstrate language proficiency.
Before you apply, ask the university whether specific language skills are required for admission. Applicants with a valid TOPIK level 3 or higher will receive 10% of the total points awarded in the first and second rounds of selection.
Who do I get my letter of recommendation from?
If possible, get your reference letter from someone with strong academic credentials, such as B. your university teacher, principal, or head of the department. The date of the letter of recommendation should be within one year of the application deadline.
How should I submit my documents if they are not in English or Korean?
Translate the documents preferably into English or Korean (certified translation). Submit them in the original language and translation along with a certified copy of the original document. All certifications should be verified by a consulate or apostolate before submission.
How can I get exempted from the Korean language program?
You will be excluded from the language program if you have a TOPIK level of 5 or 6. Consequently, you will start your studies in March 2023 in the first semester.